Taxmann’s Law Relating to Income-tax Settlement Commission by G.C. Das – 1st Edition 2021.
Taxmann’s Law Relating To Assessment in Search Cases (Complete Guidance on Journey of the Assessment Proceedings starting from ‘Issue of Warrant’ till the ‘Levy of Penalty’) by G.C. Das – 2nd Edition October 2020.
Legal structure in tax proceedings does not follow open Court procedure, where the judge is neutral. In this system, the Assessing Officer is the investigator and adjudicator, which impels him to lean towards his own judgement.
The institution of Settlement Commission has been created with the avowed purpose of balanced resolution of tax disputes in a time bound manner.
This book deals with all legal and procedural aspects relating to resolution of tax disputes in a very lucid manner. It will enable the tax professionals to handle the settlement cases with ease and confidence. The key highlights of the book are as follows:
- [FAQs] have been provided on complex issues
- [Practical Problems]It covers all conceivable questions on law and practical problems faced by taxpayers post search and survey operations
- [Tabular Presentation] of answers, for easy comprehension
- [Case Studies] on common issues are provided, which serves as a practical guide.
This book covers all amendments up to 01-12-2020 and all important decisions rendered by Courts. This book incorporates the following:
- Settlement Commission – Concepts, Features and Functions – An Overview
- Constitution, Framework and Functioning of the Settlement Commission [Section 245BA, 245BB, 245BC, and 245BD]
- Definition of ‘Case’ [Section 245A(b)]
- Application for Settlement of Case [Section 245C]
- Full and True Disclosure [Section 245C]
- Manner in which Income is Derived [Section 245C]
- Additional Tax, ‘Specified Persons’, and ‘Related Person’ [First Proviso to Section 245C(1)]
- Levy of Interest [Section 234A, 234B, 234C read with Section 245C(1)]
- Various stages of Disposal of Applications, Powers of Settlement Commission and other Related Issues – At a Glance [Section 245D(1), 245D(2), 245D(3), 245D(4)]
- Powers of Settlement Commission [Sections 245D, 245D(4A), 245E and 245D(6B)]
- Powers of the Settlement Commission to order provisional attachment to protect the interest of revenue [Section 245DD]
- Inspection etc. of Report [Section 245G]
- Immunity from Penalty and Prosecution[Section 245H]
- Abatement of Settlement Proceedings [Section 245HA and 245HAA]
- Conclusiveness of an order of Settlement Commission [Section245-I]
- Bare on subsequent application for settlement [Section 245K]
- Admission and retraction of statement under Section 131/132(4) and 133A(3)(iii) – Its impact on orders of Settlement Commission
- Application of Section 115BBE in Settlement Proceedings
- Key concepts in Law, Judicial Precedents and Application of these Principles in a Settlement Proceeding under Chapter XIX-A
- Case Study